I found this recipe from Chef V on food.com. No modifications necessary. Make it as an occasional treat for you and the kids and savour every bite!
- 1 c sugar
- 4 tsp baking powder
- 1 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp nutmeg
- 2 eggs
- 1/4 c butter, melted
- 1 c milk
- 4 c flour (or more if needed)
- canola oil for frying (I used enough oil to cover the bottom of the pan to about 1″)
- lots of cinnamon sugar (I used a ratio of 1/4 sugar to 1 tbsp cinnamon)
- Mix together first 4 ingredients.
- Mix together eggs, butter and milk.
- Add the milk mixture to the sugar mixture and blend.
- Add in 3 cups of flour and mix. Add 1 more cup of flour and beat well. Dough should be soft and sticky but firm to handle. Add 1/2 c – 1 c more flour if required.
- Cover dough with plastic wrap and place in fridge for 1 hour.
- Remove from fridge and start heating oil in pan.
- Roll out dough on floured surface into 1/2 inch thickness and cut out circles with a cookie cutter. Cut out holes in each circle with a 4″ bottle cap or smaller cookie cutter.
- Drop donuts into oil. Flip them over as they puff, about 1-2 mins per side.
- Place on paper towel to dry and sprinkle with cinnamon sugar.
- ENJOY as an occasional cheat meal!